In digital pathology, a small portable scanner can handle some workflows better than conventional big scanners. As the awareness of an alternative to multi-slide scanners grows, comparing similarities and differences is a convenient way of wrapping one’s head around a new idea. Scanning speed often comes up as a metric to contest the platforms. But does it really matter?
The speed at which one slide is scanned by the machine may have little actual bearing to how long it takes to get a scanned image of a slide. Let’s imagine you are a lab technician with a prepared sample slide in your hand and you need it scanned and turned into an image file. Here are two scenarios to consider for time, effort and workflow.
Conventional Multi-slide Scanner
- Walk to the third floor/next building/location where the scanner sits
- Book your turn on the scanner
- Wait for your turn
- Load the slide in the tray
- Run set up with focus map, etc. (several minutes)
- Scan the slide (30 seconds)
- Wait for the scanner to eject the slide
- Return to your desk
- Connect to server to view the image files
- Ensure the scan was successful
- BONUS: if scan wasn’t perfect, repeat every phase
Personal Slide Scanner
- Insert slide
- Set up (10 seconds)
- Scan the slide (2 minutes)
- View the image file on your computer
- BONUS: if pathologist isn’t present, email the image or even let the pathologist themselves remotely operate the scanner from wherever they are
The Grundium Ocus personal slide scanner makes digital pathology simple and fast. Its excellent quality-to-price ratio makes the Ocus attainable to practically any pathology establishment, a heavy procurement process isn’t needed. The screen sharing and remote operation do away with the need for the pathologist to be onsite and getting a second opinion is only a click away.
Book an online demo or come see Grundium at an industry event near you to test it and see for yourself, how easy it is to scan and share images with the Ocus, and how it fits your line of work. You’ll be surprised how this level of image quality and usability can come in such a small, affordable and beautifully designed package!
If you have questions about picking the right setup for your application, contact Attila or Mika at Grundium for personal assistance.